According to reports in Motorsports magazine Auto Action, Holden has lost two key personnel from their Motorsports division, Technical Leader, Peter Harker and Team boss Simon McNamara.
The loss of these two important members will hit the team hard as they prepare to launch their 2017 Supercars Campaign, especially McNamara, who has always been involved in the motorsport side of Holden and one of the major supporters of Holden’s Motorsport programmes since 2004.
The news comes at the same time as rumours that Holden will be shutting down its Motorsport program completely, however there is no official confirmation on this matter, or on McNamara’s departure with the words of a strong involvement in Supercars being sung loud and clear at the launch of the new Red Bull Holden Racing Team last week.
GM Holden General Manager of Marketing, Brand and Media Strategy, Emma Pinwill said the partnership in Holden’s new official factory racing team was important to the company as it evolves into a new era where they wll be developing the next generation Commodore….
“Holden is delighted to be part of the new Red Bull Holden Racing Team; the formation of a factory racing team for Holden continues a near 50 year tradition of involvement in motorsport and comes at the same time we are transforming our business and brand,” she said.
“Triple Eight are the most successful team of the modern era, and the opportunity to partner with them and an iconic brand in Red Bull is fantastic and was too good to pass up."
“Holden has made a long-term commitment to Supercars and we are not only excited about the season ahead, but also working with Triple Eight on the development of the racing version of the next-generation Commodore, which will hit the track in 2018.”
Very odd statements to make just days before the head of Holden’s Motorsports walks away, especially as McNamara was present at the launch of the new Supercar, but not taking part in any of the festivities, something that instantly raised eyebrows in the media.
Harker meanwhile, is said to have been let go from his position as contractor to Holden Motorsport on Thursday, the day after the team launched the new 2017 Supercar. It must also be noted that all bar twn of the cars on the 2017 Supercar grid are running with Holden engines. If their Motorsport division comes to an end, it could mean disaster for the very popular series.